a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
Select date/location from list box below (Use side arrow to scroll). Complete form and click on 'Send'
The Basics of HR Law
A One-Day Seminar
Meeting Code: PBE
In just one day, we'll cover the basics of HR law in a fast-paced, plain-English way that will provide a whole new level of understanding to anyone that has to deal with the thousands of facets of employment law.
It's HR 101 - and we take that as a BIG compliment!
Our previous attendees call this course, "HR 101" and they say it with a smile! It's a must-have foundation of knowledge everyone needs in today's complex business world. We cover everything from ADA ... to FLSA ... to fringe benefits, but we don't go in-depth into the tiny nuances of each law.
Instead, participants learn the basics of what the law means ... to whom the law applies ... and which agency enforces the law. Plus, they'll come back to the office armed with resources of information that they can immediately access when they need it.
What you'll have after this powerful session are employees that know the magnitude of HR law ... can converse with any employee about the issues safely ... and a dramatically reduced threat of mistakes, blunders and missteps due to ignorance that can land you and your company in hot water.
How You Will Benefit ...
- Plain-English download on the critical laws that affect everything they do with their employees
- A quick refresher course on the fundamentals of HR law
- Understand the magnitude and enormity of employment law and benefits administration
- Lessen the risk of compliance mistakes by clearly and concisely teaching necessary requirements
What You Will Cover ...
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- Civil Rights Act of 1991
- Executive Order 11246
- Equal Pay Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Pregnancy Discrimination in Employment Act
- The Newborns and Mothers' Health Protection Act
- Older Worker's Benefit Protection Act
- Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Sexual and other prohibited harassment
- Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986
- Vietnam-Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Medical and Health Care Continuation Act
- Federal Wage Garnishment Law
- Employee Retirement Security Act
- Employee Stock Option Programs
- Retirement Plans
- Section 125 Cafeteria Plans
- Qualified Domestic Relations Orders
- Workers' Compensation
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Occupational Safety and Health Act
- Qualified employee discounts exclusion
- Gifts, awards, and presentations
- Flights on institution-owned or chartered aircraft
- Moving/Travel Expenses
- De minimis
- No additional cost services exclusion
- Qualified employee discounts exclusion
- Working condition fringe benefit exclusion
- Gifts, awards, presentations
Who Should Attend ...
This seminar is built to satisfy the needs of the relatively inexperienced HR employee ... the veteran staffer who wants to brush up on some critical knowledge ... or the supervisor who wants a clearer focus on the sheer magnitude of regulations covering employment law.
Bring a seminar to your site! For information about bringing a course to your site please call 1-919-847-0331 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Register Online**
You will receive e-mail confirmation soon. If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a workshop for which you are registered, you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo toward a future workshop. If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop, your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment charge.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-847-0331.
Please mention the meeting number specified above and BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".