Padgett Thompson & National Seminars Group
a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
Building Budgeting Skills
A step-by-step guide to developing & administering practical, easy-to-use budgets
Its budget time
whats your first thought?
Where do I begin?
no way I can predict whats going to happen, so why bother?
Theres not enough time to do this.
I can build it, but no one will ever use it.
Regardless of what you think about budgets, theyre
a workplace reality that wont go away. And if you think theyre
not important, perhaps its because youve never had the opportunity
to put the full power of an effective budget to work for you. Your budget
maps out your organizations plan for financial success. What you
need is a way to make your budgets more functional ... to simplify the
entire process and make your budget an easy-to-use tool that guides you
to better decisions all year long.
The Building Budgeting Skills workshop was
developed to help you master the entire budget-planning and implementation
process. And, unlike other budgeting training options, this workshop throws
out idle theory and sticks to the hard skills you really need ... presented
in terms that make perfect sense.
Weve built our seminar objectives to help you meet
Understand and implement the budgeting process in
your work environment
Learn when the process should start, what you need to begin and how to
get the information you need. Youll know how to arrive at your specific
form and content. Decide what the budget must accomplish and how to make
sure it does!
Prepare an effective budget using all the critical
tools and techniques required
Build your budget on a solid foundation of critical principles and conventions
that include cost categorizing, cost behavior, budget assumptions,
capital and operational budget options, and much more. All the tools you
may have lacked are yours ... for keeps!
Prepare the proper budget for your current situation
and support it with conclusive data
By working with hands-on case studies, learn how to prepare budgets for
sales: production, labor, expense, capital and cash. And youll do
it with a clear understanding of all cost elements involved in determining
the true breakeven point.
Monitor the progress of your budget, armed with effective
responses to contingencies and variances
Once your budget is down on paper, youll always know how well its
running, plus what potential cuts, cost variations, volume
changes, sales and profit levels can affect it negatively or positively.
At the end of your seminar day, you will leave with a
complete toolbox of budgeting skills, including:
- The ability to know what budget points are justified
and be able to prove it!
- Instant insight into potential budget problems before
you have to live with them
- An understanding of budget types and processes, and
how each impacts your operations
- A complete glossary of terms dealing with each aspect
of your budget process
- Confidence that your discussions with financial administrators
wont leave you struggling to understand budgeting concepts or
- The tools necessary to meet your budget goals, whatever
the economic environment
- The assurance that your budget will cover all your
operating needs including surprises
Its a one-day investment that will literally pay
back dividends for years to come. Your days of hoping youll finish
within budget are over. Building Budgeting Skills puts you
in full control.
1. Improve your ability to accurately project expenses
2. Build a budget that glides through approval channels without a hitch
3. Discover steps for measuring actual progress against budget
and how to get back on track if youve wandered off course
4. Justify expenditures using the right logic and language
5. Critical responses that address and arrest budget variances
6. A complete, easy-to-understand glossary of terms dealing with every
aspect of your budgeting process
7. Checklists, worksheets and formulas that would take years to collect
on your own
8. The ability to forecast profits that will not go unnoticed
9. Reduce the time you spend gathering data for your
budget quickly identify what you need and where you can get it
10. Long run vs. short run: What you need to know about each before
11. Learn which items must be figured into your budget whether youre
building one from scratch or working from a preapproved format
12. Work with confidence when the expenses are greater than the revenues
Whether youre developing a budget or implementing
one, learning the proven techniques in this workshop will make all the
difference in the strength and success of your budget
So, if youre a
- Business owner
- Committee chairperson
- Department head
- Key player on any budgeted team
- Purchasing decision-maker
this workshop is right for you!
What and Why of Budgeting
- The 10 key benefits of good budgeting
- 5 essential elements in planning any viable budget
- Know your organizations budget philosophy
and how to shape your budget accordingly
- The budget preparation phase: step-by-step illustrations
youll use for years
- Monitoring the approved budget: Do more than just
live with it
succeed with it!
- The income statement: What does it tell you about
the past ... the future? Learn how it can pinpoint organizational weaknesses
- The balance sheet budget: a thermometer youll
use to take the success temperature of your department or
- The capital expenditure budget: Just how practical
are your plans for expansion, research and development, new personnel,
- The cash budget: Will cash really flow as expected?
- Spot the key problems and opportunities every budgeting
- Unit-cost budgeting: ideal for operations-oriented
- Fixed-cost budgeting: the tool budget-builders reach
for most often
- Review the methods available to address your unique
- Zero-based budgeting: essential for justifying proposed
expenditures from the ground up
- Recognize the proper elements for capitalization
- Examine capital expenditure requests
- 3 important ways to economically evaluate capital
- How to budget and control general and administrative
- Develop unit indicators for budget preparation and
- Identify overhead and determine proper allocation methods
- Cash versus accrual accounting two
sides of the same valuable coin
- Take the all-important first step following approval of your budget
- Use a basic accounting technology to properly compare cash inflow
- Avoid 3 typical pitfalls in consistently applying accounting principles
to your budgeting process
- Is the alleged variance within your control? The right perspective
will make the difference
- Learn where to look first for variance factors hardest to find
- How to know when and how your budget is warning you of outside interference
- Tips on how to respond to requests for variance explanations
Understand the difference between fixed and variable costs using a simple
but effective illustration
Some costs simply cant be controlled recognize them and
budget accurately in spite of them
Uncover indirect costs no matter how well they are hidden
Learn and use the unit-cost concept immediately and effectively
Establish and track monthly targets within your annual budget
The sales budget: forecasting sales, preparing projections,
analyzing budget responsibility and reports
- How to prepare a production budget
- Prepare a manufacturing budget including: budgeting
for raw materials, direct labor and overhead
- How to plan and prepare a research and development
- Budgeting terms made simple; a glossary of words youll
use again and again
Guarantee of Complete Satisfaction
We stand behind our seminars
with a 100 percent , iron-clad, money-back guarantee
of satisfaction. If for any reason youre not completely satisfied
with the solid skills, the tips, tools and shortcuts, and the crucial
information you receive during this workshop, well refund your money
in full. Every penny. Guaranteed!
to 4:00 p.m. Registration begins at
Discount: When 3 enroll from your organization, a 4th attends
Lunch is on your own.
Continuing education credits may be recognized by your professional
board. Contact your own board to find out what's required.
Error processing SSI file
If you cannot attend a workshop for which you are registered,
you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo toward a future workshop.
If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop,
your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment charge.
Bring a seminar to your site! For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Register Online**
Select date/location from list box below (Use side arrow to scroll). Complete form and click on 'Send'
National Seminars Group will e-mail confirmation soon. If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a workshop for which you are registered, you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo toward a future workshop. If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop, your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment charge.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.
Please mention the meeting number specified above and BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".