National Seminars Group & Padgett Thompson
a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
How to Manage Conflict & Work Through Disagreements
Take a fresh approach to an age-old problem
Positive Solutions to Negative Situations!
Conflict is bound to happen. Sometimes it comes out of
the blue and other times it has been brewing for a while. When the situation
finally comes to a head and youve got to respond, your reaction
makes all the difference. You dont want to roll over but you dont
want to be rolled on. Flat out: Conflict makes your workday miserable
and the wrong move will end up putting a roadblock in your career success.
Join us for proven ways to get through these tough situations.
Use proven methods to keep your cool under fire
Youll start handling conflict without all the negative emotions
the anger, anxiety, guilt or embarrassment that frequently fueled
your interactions. The temptations to blow up or shut down will be under
control. Youll be the one to take on the situation with composure,
a clearheadedness that brings clarity and resolutions to the issue. At
How to Manage Conflict & Work Through Disagreements
, youll assess your conflict
management style build on your strengths and address your weaknesses.
Youll learn techniques to defuse tension
Whether the stress occurs between groups of people or you and one other
person, youll be equipped with strategies that bring the problem,
not the personalities, into focus. Diagnose disagreements and discover
the hidden causes that are blowing up the situation. Transform the negative
energy into useful problem-solving techniques.
Apply different approaches for different personality types and situations
Not all conflict situations are created equal. You wont get a one-size-fits-all
approach to conflict management. Youll recognize each situation
for what it is and gain a higher level of understanding to reach positive
results. Develop active listening skills and know when its better
not to confront. No matter when and where the conflict arises, youll
feel confident, prepared and capable of handling the challenge.
Conflict wont ever go away but you can handle it
tactfully, positively and confidently!
This Seminar Will Benefit You
React or Retreat? Sometimes our reactions under fire surprise
Take this fun quiz and see what youd do in each instance. If the
following situations would make you React
(i.e., angry reply, tears, etc.) give yourself 2
points. If you would Retreat and
do or say nothing, give yourself 1 point.
1. The person in the cube next to you is always on the
personal business on company time in a loud voice.
2. You have trouble meeting a deadline because the manager in the other
department did not get information to you in a timely manner.
3. During a departmental brainstorming meeting, youve come up with
idea. Your peer has taken that idea to the boss and taken credit for it
4. You arrive on time for a scheduled meeting. The other person never
5. After you leave work every day, someone goes through your
borrow a stapler or a pen or a tablet and never brings anything back.
6. The classical music lover in the next cube is playing music too loud
you cant concentrate.
7. You are verbally attacked at a meeting by a co-worker you have always
considered to be a confidante.
8. You find out through the grapevine that a couple of people are
spreading rumors and gossiping about you.
9. You are working on a project with three other employees. One person
has other commitments and doesnt pull the load, and you have to
than your share to get the job done.
10. Someone passes on something you said in confidence about your boss.
11. Everyone always expects you to pick up the birthday cakes, special
snacks and treats.
12. You are told an offensive off-color joke using language you dont
13. Your friend makes a big-time mistake and knows it. Your long-time
asks you not to mention it to your boss.
14. The rules in your company are not applied evenly. Some people dont
to keep the same company hours.
15. Other departments are always on break seems like no one
else in the company ever works.
Scoring: For each React answer, score 2. For each Retreat answer, score
Total points :_________________________
If you scored between 30 and 25,
you might be getting the reputation as a warrior. The lessons youll
learn in Handling Conflict With Tact and Finesse will make sure
that your up-front attitude does not cause bad feelings with other staff
If you scored between 24 and
20, things that you are letting slide might be building up
inside you and cause you to react more strongly to other situations. Handling
Conflict With Tact and Finesse will make sure you know the difference
between the two major types of conflicts and that you are picking the
right subjects to resolve.
If you scored between 19 and 15, you
are uncomfortable with conflict situations. This seminar will give you
strategies for approaching people tactfully while still expressing your
true feelings on the matter. Those butterflies you keep getting
will disappear as you begin to use conflict-resolution techniques.
The toughest thing about conflict is that there is no
one right way. Different
situations call for different approaches. Handling Conflict With Tact
and Finesse will help you recognize the manifestations of conflict
and give you an entire arsenal for defusing and disarming its negative
how conflict occurs - so you can head it off at the pass!
- Common myths about conflict that lead us astray
- Exploring the basic causes of conflict
- Surefire strategies for minimizing causes of conflict
so it doesn't arise in the first place
- The accepted approaches to conflict management and
when each is helpful
- Recognizing why pouting, avoidance, power plays and
manipulation never resolve conflict
- How fear of conflict can hold you back - personally
- The plus side of conflict: growth opportunities conflict
offers and how to benefit from them
techniques for navigating your way through conflict
- Critical rules of interpersonal problem-solving that
will keep you on track
- Essential questions to ask yourself before you do
- Exercise: Using problem-solving worksheets to figure
out what's really
- The 3-step A.C.E. Method to conflict resolution
- Conflict-resolution skills every professional should
- Compromising positions that work
- Big "don'ts" to avoid during conflict
Never the twain shall meet: Managing differences between others
- Should you get involved? Here's how to decide
- How to diagnose disagreements
- Secrets master diplomats use to negotiate agreement
- The importance of avoiding the "placing blame" trap
- The art of turning arguments into fact-gathering,
- Critical steps that lead to agreement
- Building a framework of trust for your team or work
- Power tips for dealing effectively with various negative
assertiveness can help you lead, motivate and persuade others
- Steps for getting beyond fear of confrontation
- Turning your anxiety into an asset
- Confrontation 101: How-tos for confronting
someone in a calm, professional manner
use your head: how to
- How to neutralize paralyzing emotions
- If tears threaten: proven techniques for stemming
- Breaking the guilt-bind
- Self-validation: a powerful take-home tool that teaches
you how to come out on top in conflict
anger - your own and that of others
- Basic facts you should know about anger
- Subtle symptoms of unacknowledged anger
- The lost art of anger management: an easy-to-use 4-stage anger response
- Ways to deal with anger appropriately
- How to get your point across without blowing your top
- What you must know to minimize antagonistic behavior
- Tactics for defusing an angry person during a confrontation
- Crisis management: What to do when someone's anger threatens to
turn into violence
SECTION: How to handle specific confrontational situations with ease
- Techniques for dealing with backstabbing and ridicule
- What to do when you're challenged or put down in front of others
- Tips for handling criticism without getting defensive or upset
- How to deal with people who treat you disrespectfully
- Recognizing and dealing effectively with the aggressive tactics of
- What to do if someone gets verbally abusive during a disagreement
- How to respond when others try to drag you into an argument you
want no part of
up the lines of communication to minimize conflict
- The 3 C's of
- Essential speaking
skills for conflict situations
- Choosing your
words well: Increase understanding and the battle
is half won
words that should never leave your lips during confrontation
- Keys to direct,
clear communication that will end crippling mixed messages forever
- Active listening
skills that will help you hear what's being said -
and avoid misunderstandings
- How to follow-up
once the confrontation is over
care of No. 1 (that's you!) when conflict takes
- Powerful principles
for maintaining positive human relationships
- How to stop self-destructive
- Self-talk: Could
what you're saying to yourself be sabotaging your efforts?
- Breaking the
cycle of conflict-related stress
- Dealing with
- Letting go of
rage and self-pity
- The 5-step process
for reclaiming your self-esteem
Guarantee of Complete Satisfaction
We stand behind our seminars
with a 100 percent , iron-clad, money-back guarantee
of satisfaction. If for any reason youre not completely satisfied
with the solid skills, the tips, tools and shortcuts, and the crucial
information you receive during this workshop, well refund your money
in full. Every penny. Guaranteed!
to 4:00 p.m. Registration begins at
Discount: When 3 enroll from your organization, a 4th attends
Lunch is on your own.
Continuing education credits may be recognized by your professional
board. Contact your own board to find out what's required.
If you cannot attend a workshop for which you are registered,
you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo toward a future workshop.
If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop,
your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment charge.
Bring a seminar to your site! For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Register Online**
Select date/location from list box below (Use side arrow to scroll). Complete form and click on 'Send'
National Seminars Group will e-mail confirmation soon. If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a workshop for which you are registered, you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo toward a future workshop. If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop, your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment charge.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.
Please mention the meeting number specified above and BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".