National Seminars Group & Padgett Thompson
a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
Management Skills for First-Time Supervisors
Get the solid skills you need to achieve exceptional results through others. This high-intensity one-day workshop covers dozens of key issues common to supervising others.
you perform in your first position as a supervisor is critical to your
professional future. Time and again, studies show that the biggest mistake
new supervisors make is to try to "wing it." That's why this high-powered
day of training is a not-to-be-missed career event.
Through accelerated learning techniques, you'll gain the solid skills
and supervisory "how-to's" you need to get others to go that extra mile!
The comprehensive agenda covers the essential building blocks to supervisory
excellence, how to build morale and increase productivity, strategies
for handling conflicts and curbing absenteeism, time management tips no
supervisor should be without, and how to acquire a supervisor's mindset
You'll also develop skills in team-building, problem-solving and dealing
effectively with non-performers and problem employees. Bottomline: This
renowned workshop provides the essential training no supervisor can afford
to be without! Why take the long, hard rocky road of trial-and-error to
supervisory success when you can jump-start your skills in just one day?
- Increase your department or unit's productivity with
5 motivational methods
- Avoid costly errors that new supervisors commonly
- Master the art of "planagement" management through
planning - and watch your career soar!
- Turn around negative employee attitudes
- Get a group of diverse employees to think, act and
work like a real team
- Give on-target instructions so the job gets done right
the first time
- Deliver constructive criticism without causing anger
- Eliminate your daily time-wasters for an immediate
boost in personal productivity
- Use non-cash motivators to inspire your people to
greater achievement and increased productivity
- Resolve staff disagreements more quickly and easily
than you ever dreamed possible
- Recognize and build upon your unique leadership strengths
- Know how to tell your boss that too much has been piled
- Improve your communication effectiveness with active
- Recognize the 5 clear signals that an employee is
burning out and know what to do about it
- Project the image of a credible, confident leader
who gets results!
- First-time supervisors and managers who want to build
their supervisory skills fast
- Supervisors with a few years of experience who never
received formal training
- Anyone soon to be promoted to a supervisory position
- Those new to supervising others, even if it's not
part of the job description
the Supervisor's Mindset and Image
- Use the Leadership Style Analysis to understand your
- Gain long-term vision: how to think like a company
- 5 proven ways to gain control of your environment
- Supervisory intervention, coaching and counseling-knowing
- Realize the 4 personality types and how to work with
- The 7 classic principles of influence...how and when
to use them
- What you should do when your employees make you look
bad to your boss
- Avoid the mistakes new supervisors usually make
- How to look cool, calm and collected-even when you're
tense and hurried
Blocks to Supervisory Excellence
- The 3 red flags that tell you when an employee's workload
is too heavy
- When you can't think of everything: allowing a mentor
to help you along
- Increase your "Planagement Quotient"-and watch difficult
- 12 effective ways to win others to your way of thinking
- Keep the lines of communication open even when you
aren't a verbal or talkative person
- What to say when employees compare you unfavorably
to the supervisor you replaced
- The emotional requirements of being a supervisor
Creating Productivity and Building Morale
- Understand the basic things that motivate all people
- Being friendly with your staff while maintaining respect
- Avoid the problems that come with supervising friends
- How to match the right person to the right task
- Make certain your people know when they're doing well
and how to do well
- Build teams that will provide great results
- Techniques for leading, not bossing
- How to give constructive criticism without deflating
Handle Conflicts-Every Time
- Use the Control Model to limit the impact of negative
- Bring about change, even when there is resistance
- 3 basic guidelines you must know before encountering
- When to use emotion and when to use logic
- Learn to predict and prepare for the response of your
- Curb absenteeism, tardiness and employee turnover
- The 6 steps to resolving a disagreement
- Use the concept of "pre-call" to prevent behavioral
- Control your anger when things really go wrong
to Get Things Done on Time and on Target
- Use the CALM method to conquer chaos
- How to double-click the quality of your work when you haven't been
given enough time
- An "open door" policy-when it will work and when it won't
- Manage when the pressure's on
- Eliminate self-imposed stress and be more effective
- Know how much work to delegate and whether your staff member is ready
- Align your priorities with the boss's priorities
- Give clear directions that ensure things get done
- How to tell your boss when too much has been piled on you
- Active listening: what it really means and when it's important
- Know the vast differences between boss-imposed, system-imposed and
peer-imposed time and save yourself hours!
Payoffs-How to Stay on Top
- Develop your own personal "Supervisor in Action" plan
- Let your position help you-how you can save time and energy via your
- How to "play the game" when you need to and how to enjoy it
- Dodge the pitfalls of stress
- Avoid burnout caused by the inexperienced supervisor
- Make sure you stay promotable!
Guarantee of Complete Satisfaction 9:00 a.m.
to 4:00 p.m. Registration begins at
We stand behind our seminars
with a 100 percent , iron-clad, money-back guarantee
of satisfaction. If for any reason youre not completely satisfied
with the solid skills, the tips, tools and shortcuts, and the crucial
information you receive during this workshop, well refund your money
in full. Every penny. Guaranteed!
Discount: When 3 enroll from your organization, a 4th attends
Lunch is on your own.
Education: Select date/location from list box below (Use side arrow to scroll). Complete form and click on 'Send'
Continuing education credits may be recognized by your professional
board. Contact your own board to find out what's required.
If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop,
Bring a seminar to your site! For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Register Online**
National Seminars Group will e-mail confirmation soon. If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a workshop for which you are registered, you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo toward a future workshop. If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop, your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment charge.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.
Please mention the meeting number specified above and BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".