This seminar is offered onsite only. The descriptions and outlines specified below are examples of the topics covered in this seminar. Actual seminar content will depend on your organization's needs. Of course, we customize the seminar's content to meet the specific needs of your organization.
The First-Time Supervisors' Boot Camp
Are you gung-ho to be a first-class supervisor? Then gear up for the most exciting basic training you’ll ever enlist in - and arm yourself with the powerful skills, tools and know-how you’ll need to lead your troops to success!
Dear Management Recruit:
Congratulations! Youve been chosen for the professional
opportunity of a lifetime the chance to proudly serve your outfit
in a leadership position. Whether you enlisted in the management forces
or were drafted, whether youre about to report for leadership duty
or youve been in command for awhile, youve probably already
Being an effective leader is a lot harder than your recruiter
In fact, getting exceptional results through others is harder than a frozen
grenade in a Siberian blizzard! But seriously supervision is more
difficult today than ever before because of new challenges like ever-changing
technology, an increasingly diverse workforce and the push to get more
done with fewer resources.
Its unbelievable how much youve got to know
as a supervisor today to get the job done right and to move up
the chain of command!
Thats where The First-Time Supervisors
Boot Camp comes in. Listen up: This is NOT your typical management
training experience! Its intense, fast-paced and highly interactive,
filled with skill-packed exercises and hands-on learning activities. Youll
be completely taken out of your world for two days and immersed in an
environment where youll be 100 percent focused on the key skills,
strategies and techniques that will make you a stronger, more effective
This intensive training covers all the aspects of supervision
that are critical to your success, including how to
- Motivate your troops to go the extra mile
- Adopt winning leadership habits
- Build a high-performance team
- Use creative problem-solving techniques to find new
- Weed out shirkers and deserters with smart interview
- Guide the troops through change and the chaos
it can cause
- Avoid the minefield of mistakes new leaders usually
- Communicate clearly and confidently
- And much, much more!
This basic training is designed to get you
up to speed FAST in all the management essentials, and the nonconventional,
interactive training format allows you to practice and reinforce the skills
youre learning. Weve stocked our camp with the very latest
leadership and management tools and tactics strategies youll
use for years to come!
And dont tell the top brass, but this supervisory
boot camp is more fun than you should be allowed to have while youre
learning. Youll train shoulder-to-shoulder with your fellow recruits,
sharing laughs and camaraderie as you flex your management muscles and
strengthen your leadership skills.
So why risk your career learning essential management
skills by trial and error when you can become a top-flight supervisor
IN JUST TWO DAYS? Enlisting has never been easier enroll online
Mark R. Truitt, Commander In Chief
Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center, Inc.
P.S. Camping space is limited to optimize one-on-one interaction,
so dont dillydally around. Move it! Move it! Move it! And sign up
1. Motivate your troops to give it their all without
threatening KP duty!
2. Resolve conflicts and disagreements without letting them escalate out
3. Establish your credibility fast and earn salutes up and down the chain
4. Save hours every week by avoiding common time-wasters that wreck a
5. Build on your unique strengths to develop a confident, professional
6. Troops late for roll call AGAIN? Curb tardiness and absenteeism with
7. Avoid the most common mistakes made by new supervisors.
8. Deliver constructive feedback in a way that produces positive change,
not resentment or anger.
9. Combat a variety of attitude problems without breaking a sweat.
10. Use active listening techniques to really hear what employees are
trying to tell you.
11. Supervise friends and former coworkers without hassles or stress.
12. Give crystal-clear instructions your employees will understand the
13. Win over the troops and the top brass to your way of
14. Conduct effective performance appraisals that result in improved employee
15. Build a top-flight, A-1 team thats the envy of every organization.
16. Free up your time and develop your employees' skills through effective
17. Avoid the minefield of stress and burnout by building some R&R
into your personal and professional life.
18. Lead your troops successfully through the obstacle course of turmoil,
chaos and change.
19. Make overwhelming management tasks disappear by using Planagement.
20. Kick-start creativity in your team and yourself for amazing new solutions
to old problems.
21. Face confrontations with employees head-on in a calm and confident
22. Weed out shirkers and deserters with smart interviewing tactics.
23. Say no in a professional way that doesnt give offense
make you feel guilty.
24. Pave your way to career success with the Supervisors Action
Plan youll develop.
25. Become a highly effective, well-respected manager that employees are
eager to work with.
- First-time supervisors and managers who want to build
their supervisory skills fast
- Supervisors with a few years of experience who never
received formal training
- Anyone soon to be promoted to a supervisory position
- Those new to supervising others, even if it's not
part of the job description
the Recruiter Never Told You: Truths About Being a Manager Today
- The challenging obstacle course facing leadership today
- Saluting the top brass: Traits and characteristics
that set highly successful leaders apart
- The emotional requirements of being a supervisor:
Have you got the right stuff?
- Avoiding booby traps that often trip-up new supervisors
- Can you fraternize with your staff and still maintain
respect and compliance?
- Tips for avoiding the problems that come from supervising
friends and former coworkers
- 5 proven ways to gain control of your environment
- The 7 classic principles of influence ... how and
when to deploy them
- Crucial differences between being a leader and being
MARCH! Learning to Lead So Your Squad Will Follow
- Conducting field maneuvers: How to offer your troops
direction without giving them answers
- How to identify and develop the core competencies
all effective leaders share
- What kind of a leader are you right now? Learn to
assess your leadership skills, play up your strengths and scuttle your
- Delegation: Your secret weapon for boosting personal
- Ways to get your people to support your ideas, believe
in you, and march with you anywhere
- How to develop your skills as a big picture
- Using positive assertiveness to negotiate, influence
and build win-win relationships
- Are you fraternizing with the troops?
How to maintain the right amount of distance between your employees
Can’t HEARRRRRR You! Communication and Listening How To’s
- No can do! How to say no without arousing
offense in others, or guilt in yourself
- Techniques to make sure your people hear you
right the first time when you give them direction
- Now hear this: How to add more power, energy and effectiveness
to your spoken words
- How good a listener are you? Heres how to tell
- More ammo! Tips to boost the impact of your e-mail
and written communication
- How to offer the right feedback at the right time
It! Move It! Move It! How to Motivate, Guide and Direct the Troops
- The #1 employee motivator (hint: its NOT money
or the threat of having to eat C-rations)
- What your troops really want from you (and how to
give it to them)
- Are you unknowingly giving your best workers negative
reinforcement? How to tell
- You CAN get your squad to work harder, faster and
more efficiently. Heres how!
- How personality affects performance: Keys to understanding
why people act and react the way they do
- The most effective ways to offer constructive criticism
even to your most sensitive recruits
- Performance appraisals: New ways to evaluate your
people with minimum stress, maximum results
Outside the Barracks — Creative Strategies for Supervisors
- How to solve typical problems
through atypical thinking
- Brainstorming techniques
for capturing whole armies of fresh, original ideas
- Tactics for firing up
creativity in your team and yourself and escaping
from the tried and true
- How to stop thinking weve
always done it that way and start thinking we can do it
differently and better
- At ease! How to foster
a work climate where creativity thrives
- Use the time-honored principles
of Murphys Law to help you handle snafus
on Target With a Powerful Arsenal of Management Tools
- Learn to eliminate costly supervisory time-wasters
- Work smarter, not harder, using project, priority and time management
- Learn to take advantage of Internet management tools and Web sites
- Secret weapons for catching even the sneakiest e-mail and Web abusers
and putting an end to unproductive techno time
- Discover what new technological innovations and management trends
are in the pipeline
Up Unproductive and Problem Employees (Before They Go AWOL)
- Behavior modification strategies (when “Drop and give
me 50 pushups!” isn’t appropriate)
- Tips for turning chronic complainers into productive,
- Tools for combating a variety of attitude problems
- The best approach for dealing with argumentative,
difficult and combative people
- What’s your role in settling disagreements between
- 3 basic guidelines to know before heading into a combat
zone with employees
- The secret to identifying the underlying reasons
Continuing education credits may be recognized by your professional
board. Contact your own board to find out what's required.
Bring this seminar to your site!
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
PLEASE BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".