National Seminars Group
a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
This seminar is offered onsite only. The descriptions and outlines specified below are examples of the topics covered in this seminar. Actual seminar content will depend on your organization's needs. Of course, we customize the seminar's content to meet the specific needs of your organization.
The Essentials of Payroll Management
An intensive one-day workshop and legal update for payroll professionals.
comprehensive one-day workshop is an absolute career essential for anyone
involved in payroll management. In plain English, it offers the solid
answers you need to pressing questions that plague every payroll professional,
from how to interpret tricky IRS rules to how to handle an employee's
special payroll deduction needs to which benefits are taxable.
Expect an information-packed day of training! Key areas to be covered
include fundamentals of effective payroll administration, benefit administration
basics, and recordkeeping and reporting techniques that keep the auditor
away. A major segment of the workshop is a legal update on the constantly
changing government rules and regulations impacting payroll. This information
alone is worth the price of the workshop!
What's more, this intensive day of training will allow you to return to
work with the peace of mind that comes from knowing you can confidently
handle each and every tricky payroll situation correctly.
- Say goodbye to headaches over where to draw the line
on IRS de minimis fringes
- Know exactly how to handle the most recent changes
in payroll rules and regulations
- Save time in preparing W-2s by using a handy checklist
- Withhold the correct amount on company gifts from
cash to ball game tickets to gift certificate
- Determine taxability of income and benefits -- with
solid guidelines to back up your decisions
- Meet the new hire reporting requirements to the letter
of the law
- Save your organization major bucks by knowing how
to keep independent contractors from being viewed as employees
- Handle all types of garnishments with ease
- Avoid red-flag payroll practices that make auditors
sit up and take notice
- Find more space in the files by knowing exactly how
long certain documents must be kept
- Understand when and how to best use payroll service
- Improve your accuracy by knowing how to build safety
nets into your system
- Understand how to proceed in a variety of special
situations, such as final payments to a deceased employee
- Avoid common Wage and Hour Law missteps that could
cost your organization a bundle
- Know where to find excellent resources for payroll
information - fast!
- Payroll Managers
- Anyone interested in learning more efficient recordkeeping
- Anyone interested in understanding the administration
on the Fundamentals of Effective Payroll Administration-Because
every payroll professional must possess a solid foundation of knowledge
in payroll management, this workshop includes an extensive overview of
the basic principles you must know forward and backward.
- Why today's payroll managers bear more responsibility
than ever before
- First things first: determining who your employees
- What you need to know about "statutory employees"
- Tips for keeping independent contractors from being
viewed as employees
- The high-dollar consequences of failing to properly
- Basic policies for dealing with employees on payroll
issues that will save you untold grief down the road
- Common errors in figuring overtime and how to avoid
- How to handle incentive and commission payroll issues
Benefit Administration Basics- When it comes
to handling employee benefits, there's a lot to know. Is the benefit taxable?
Non-taxable? Partially taxable? Spend just one day with us and get the
answers you need to keep your company on the straight and narrow.
- A quick refresher: Which income and benefits are taxable
and which are exempt?
- Get the scoop on the latest issues surrounding sick
pay, personal pay, vacation pay, retroactive pay and more
- How to determine taxability on commissions, incentive
pay and tips
- The ins and outs of handling employee reimbursements,
from business travel to company cars
- Understanding the taxability associated with educational
assistance, 401(k) and 403(b), and other employee benefits
- Avoid those penalties! Keys to understanding the de
minimis fringe benefits criteria
- Understanding IRS regulations on taxing cash advances
and employee loans
- What's taxable and nontaxable on employee moving expense
- Fundamentals of handling employee cafeteria plans-and
resources to turn to for the myriad of details you'll encounter here
- Fringe benefit areas that trip up even the most seasoned
Comply, Comply, Comply! Laws, Rules, and Regulations You MUST Know!
In the world of payroll management, one misstep could land you in legal
hot water. And, the penalties of not following the letter of the law can
be severe. This workshop helps you thoroughly understand the existing
rules and regulations that affect payroll management, as well as get updated
on recent changes.
- The low-down on the IRS mandate for EFT
- Tips for decreasing your headaches on new hire reporting
- The "how to's" of handling garnishments, tax levies,
withholding orders and personal indebtedness
- Comp time and the law: your organization's policy
may be illegal!
- How courts have ruled on "off-the-clock" overtime-even
if company policy forbids it
- Common Wage-Hour Law mistakes that could cost your
- What you need to know about the payroll-related issues
surrounding FMLA and COBRA
- Handling final payments to deceased employees and
other special situations
- Recent changes in laws and rulings-and answers to
the most frequently asked questions about them
- Heads Up! Potential changes to watch for in coming
and Reporting Techniques that Keep the Auditor Away- Efficient
recordkeeping and reporting is the secret to preventing critical mistakes
from falling through the cracks. This workshop provides step-by-step directions
for handling the many issues and challenges that come your way in this
integral part of your job.
- Payroll? HR? Accounting? The importance of establishing
clear-cut guidelines for who is responsible for what
- Payroll procedures that are sure to raise red flags
- Buried in paper? Find out how long you must keep which
- Proven techniques for streamlining payroll processes
- Tips for building safety nets into your payroll system
- The most common W-2 errors and how you can easily
- Steps you need to take when you've miscalculated taxes
and the paychecks have already gone out
- What you can and can't tell employees regarding their
- Damage control: crucial steps to take if your organization
- On-line resources providing help and information for
Continuing education credits may be recognized by your professional
board. Contact your own board to find out what's required.
Bring this seminar to your site!
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 1-919-847-0331 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
PLEASE BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".