National Seminars Group & Padgett Thompson
a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
Understanding and Managing Sales & Use Tax
company big bucks ... while staying out of legal hot water!
Are you one of the many organizations OVERpaying or
sales and use taxes?
Chances are, if you’ve not attended this comprehensive workshop, you
may very well be. And that puts your organization at a serious
If you’re OVERpaying - you’re throwing money away!
And, it may be more than you think possible! Even small overpayments
over time can add up to big bucks - bucks that should be going to your
organization’s bottom line. You and your organization work hard for your
money - throwing it away just doesn’t make sense.
If you’re UNDERpaying - watch out for rough water ahead!
mistake: The consequences of underpaying sales and use taxes can be
severe. First, you can expect to undergo an excruciating audit. Next, your
organization will be slapped with some potentially heavy penalties, be
ordered to pay back taxes plus interest, and maybe even wind up with some
steep legal bills. And, in some cases, you may be held personally
accountable for tax mistakes (yikes!).
When it comes down to the dollars and cents that drive your
organization, it pays to fully recognize your sales and use tax
obligations. Attending this workshop is just a small investment of time
and money, but it’s a critical investment for professionals committed to
achieving a healthy bottom line.
Why struggle to keep up with sales and use tax laws and
regulations when this workshop gets you up to speed in just one
Are you struggling with sales and use tax laws and regulations? You’re
not alone! In fact, professionals across the nation agree that computing,
tracking, and filing sales and use taxes are the toughest, most
time-consuming responsibilities they face.
Perhaps you can relate to some of the most common complaints
“Tracking and handling sales and use taxes take a lot of
“The laws are confusing, varying from state to state and area
“The forms are complex and often unclear.”
are always changing and it’s hard to keep on top of the new
“No one seems to be able to answer my toughest
Sound familiar? We understand that without the proper tools and
information, handling sales and use taxes can be an arduous, frustrating,
seemingly impossible chore. But, it doesn’t have to be that way.
Understanding and Managing Sales & Use Tax gives you
the solid know-how you need to feel confident in your ability to handle
the many complexities and challenges that come your way. It presents
difficult concepts and confusing terminology in a clear,
easy-to-understand manner, and provides you with the most up-to-date
information available. We’ve done our homework, so you don’t have to!
What You’ll Learn
- Fully understand your real sales and use tax obligations.
- Are you over- or underpaying? Find out how to know for sure!
- Frustrated by how much time is involved in filing and maintaining
sales tax records?
- Gain invaluable shortcuts that’ll cut that time in half!
- Learn little known business strategies that minimize your sales tax
- Discover the most common tax mistakes ... and learn how to avoid
Who Should Attend
Anyone responsible for the accounting and tax preparations practices
for any size of organization. Have you ever wondered....
- How can I be sure I’m paying all the taxes I owe?
- Where do you go to find the most current regulations regarding state
and local sales taxes since they seem to be changing all the time?
- Which items and services are taxable? Which aren’t?
- How do I determine whether I’m exempt from any sales and use taxes?
- I may have overpaid taxes in the past - what can I do about it now?
- What are the most common mistakes made in filing sales and use taxes
and how can I avoid them?
- What items should I keep a detailed record of in case of an audit?
- We’re really tight on people resources - are there any ways to
streamline the tax filing process?
- The tax laws are so complicated - can you give me a plain English
explanation of what they mean?
- Are there any tax breaks that my organization should be taking
- What are the real consequences of underpaying?
- Are there any items that are taxable that I don’t know about?
- Who is responsible for paying which taxes - my organization
- Are there any legal ways to reduce my organization’s tax
- What are the most effective and efficient ways to maintain
and Use Taxes - in Plain English
- Sales and use taxes defined
- The government definition of a “sale”
- When does a “sale” occur?
- A sure way to determine which persons and businesses are taxable and
which are exempt
- When are sales and use taxes applicable? Here’s how to know for sure
- The sales tax return: What is it and when must it be filed?
- Deciphering your sales tax report for clearer understanding of the
- How to register for a seller’s permit
- When can you personally be held liable as an employee or corporate
officer for sales and use tax errors?
- How interstate commerce is defined and how it affects your
to Pay Only What Your Organization Owes - and No
- How to contact your state board of equalization for the most current
tax rate info: a listing for all 50 states
- Surefire techniques to determine which transactions are exempt from
sales and use taxes
- Providing services: How to know if you’re required to pay sales
- Understanding when sales taxes apply to consumption of goods in
- Which interstate commerce transactions are exempt from sales and use
- Do you pay, or do your customers: Who is responsible for which
- Taxable items that are most often overlooked by payers
- Defining sales tax applicability to software sales and usage
- An error-free method for computing exactly what your organization
- Understanding the consequences - and the full range of penalties -
for underpaying taxes
Bucks by Minimizing Your Sales and Use Tax Obligations
- 100% legal ways to reduce your organization’s tax liabilities
- How to avoid sales taxes on delivery, freight and transportation
- Tips for taking advantage of the isolated or occasional sale
- Tax breaks your organization may be overlooking
- Common sales and use tax filing mistakes that can cost you - and how
to avoid them
- Overpaid in the past? How to find out if you can recover any money
of Prevention: Preparing to Survive a Sales Tax Return
- An item-by-item list of what you must keep detailed records of in
case of an audit
- Effective sales tax audit strategies
- Understanding the procedures used by auditors
- Tips for taking charge of the audit
- A sampling of audit techniques for specific business transactions
- What you can do before and during an audit to make the process less
excruciating for your organization - and for you!
Establishing a Top-Notch Accounting System to Monitor Sales and Use
- Key elements needed for an error-proof tax accounting system
- How to use your system to manage taxable and nontaxable transactions
- Organization techniques and tools that help you maintain tax records
- Timesaving tips for streamlining the tax- filing process
- Software programs that can save you hours of tedious labor
- How to determine if you need a CPA or tax attorney, or if you can
handle the job yourself
Guarantee of Complete Satisfaction
We stand behind our seminars
with a 100 percent , iron-clad, money-back guarantee
of satisfaction. If for any reason youre not completely satisfied
with the solid skills, the tips, tools and shortcuts, and the crucial
information you receive during this workshop, well refund your money
in full. Every penny. Guaranteed!
to 4:00 p.m. Registration begins at
Discount: When 3 enroll from your organization, a 4th attends
Lunch is on your own.
Education: Select date/location from list box below (Use side arrow to scroll). Complete form and click on 'Send'
Continuing education credits may be recognized by your professional
board. Contact your own board to find out what's required.
If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop,
Bring a seminar to your site! For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Register Online**
National Seminars Group will e-mail confirmation soon. If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a workshop for which you are registered, you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo toward a future workshop. If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop, your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment charge.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.
Please mention the meeting number specified above and BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".