National Seminars Group & Padgett Thompson
a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
Assertive Communication - Essential Skills for Successful Women
Break through communication stereotypes ... Learn how assertiveness works FOR YOU!
What You Will Learn
Who Should Attend
"Iím just not the assertive type. Itís just the way I am." This tired excuse is just a tired excuse. Your personality is not to blame for your inability to get the respect you deserve. Women notoriously put the needs of others ahead of their own needs Ö often to the point of being taken for granted and being invisible.
Assertiveness is having the self-confidence to be yourself.
Assertiveness training for women is about valuing others and treating them fairly, hearing their opinions and sharing your own. Todayís dynamic business world presents immense opportunities, IF you know how to take advantage of them. Assertiveness essentials give you the foundation to calm down, stand up, and speak out.
Discover practical techniques that work for you and your unique situation.
This is not a "one size fits all" workshop. Itís an information extravaganza! In just one day, youíll be armed with specific tips, tricks, and techniques. Youíll be able to incorporate this training easily into the rest of your life. This workshop will help you do just that.
Donít you deserve to get the results you want out of your career and personal life? Youíre a role model, not just at work but at home. People who have mastered the skill of assertiveness are able to greatly reduce the level of interpersonal conflict in their lives, thereby reducing a major source of stress. This program will help you enjoy life more. Youíll learn how to deal with conflict and difficult people Ö whether theyíre coworkers, supervisors, family, or friends.
A unique approach you can trust Ö developed for women by women.
Put your fears of criticism and rejection aside Ö or better yet, bring them and share them in the workshop. Thereís nothing we canít tackle together. Ask your questions. Hundreds of women just like you are a testimony to our success.
Make this bold step today ... itís just the first of many to come.
Still unsure? Canít decide? Thatís usually a strong indication of how much you need this incredible workshop. Itís true Ė when you leave, you wonít be the same woman who signed up. Youíll be on the road to greater confidence, less stress, and more honesty. All you have to lose is insecurity.
What You Will Learn
The REWARDS of attending this revolutionary one-day workshop are endless! Youíll learn to Ö
Who Should Attend
- Rethink outdated stereotypes about how women "should" be to get what they want
- Redefine conflict as opportunity, rather than agony
- Rebuild your confidence and credibility at work and at home
- Restore your ability to communicate with clarity and composure
- Reward yourself, your coworkers, your family and friends when you become the confident, decisive woman you were meant to be
Not sure if you really need this program? Find out here!
Review these scenarios from the lives of real women. Put a check mark by the ones you recognize and relate to.
- Youíve left a meeting silently fuming that you didnít speak up
- After a confrontation with a pushy and overbearing colleague, you come up with the "perfect" response Ö too late
- You knew you were right, but you backed down under pressure
- Instead of expressing yourself calmly and rationally, you burst into embarrassing tears
- A colleague takes credit for your great idea Ö and frustrated, you let it go
- Youíve let resentment build and youíve just blown up Ö often at the wrong people
- You work in a male-dominated environment, and your voice is often lost in the crowd
- Saying yes to extra time-consuming requests is a habit you canít break Ö "no" just isnít in your vocabulary
- Youíve accepted unfair criticism without a word
- Youíre afraid to speak up because someone might disagree or your idea might be rejected
- You avoid confrontation at all costs
- You feel powerless, like your opinions donít really matter
If even one or two situations seem familiar, youíll benefit from the real-world assertiveness techniques featured in this groundbreaking program.
This isnít "fast food" advice or "bumper sticker" motivation. You get practical, well-researched techniques to help you become more confident for good, not just for one or two days. You wonít be asked to remake yourself Ö just rediscover the person you were meant to be. Donít wait! Sign up today!
Laying the Groundwork for Becoming an Assertive Communicator
Understanding the Essentials to Assertiveness
- Hear why more than ever, assertiveness is vital in todayís diverse and dynamic workplace, especially for women
- Whatís your communication style? Build on your strengths and pinpoint your weaknesses
- Donít let them scare you Ö learn the vital differences between how men and women communicate
- Explore your personal pattern of communication behavior: In what situations are you likely to be assertive? passive? aggressive?
- Recognize communication habits that are self-sabotaging and hold women back
- Stop confusing assertiveness with aggressiveness Ö overcome your irrational fears
Polishing Your Unspoken Message: Body Language and Active Listening
- Assertive, passive, aggressive: How to distinguish among them
- Persuasion guidelines ... make your point and get support and buy-in
- How to speak your mind or ask for what you want without seeming pushy
- The importance of "I" statements
- Giving the three-line assertion message
- Techniques for assertive communication: Broken record, fogging, workable compromise, and more!
Dealing With Difficult Situations, Difficult People, and Conflict
- Characteristics of assertive body language and how to use them to your advantage
- Stop sabotaging what you say with inappropriate body language
- How to appear poised and confident even when youíre not
- "Listen" for nonverbal messages to hear what people are really saying
- The basics of active and reflective listening and how they will make you more effective
- How listening can help you tailor a more effective response
Communicating Assertively to Persuade and Negotiate
- Tips for saying "no" or refusing a request without feeling guilty
- How to respond to passive or aggressive communication with diplomacy and tact in order to get the results you need
- Recognize when people are trying to manipulate you and know effective tactics you can use to stop them
- How to survive Ė even thrive Ė in a predominantly male environment
- Face confrontation head-on and communicate professionally
- Effective responses for disarming disagreeable people, bullies, tantrum throwers, and whiners
- Mars and Venus in conflict: How each gender handles conflict differently Ė and how to use it to your advantage
- Tips for remaining calm and in control when on the verge of tears or a shouting match
Excelling in Meetings and in Front of Groups
- Say it with style: A concise, step-by-step method of persuasion
- Tips for presenting your point of view in a way that will generate respect
- The importance of working toward a win-win agreement instead of a win-lose "victory"
- Negotiation strategies the pros rely on for success
- Understanding your options when they just wonít see things your way
- Making a dynamic impression that builds your credibility
- How to get a word in edgewise when everyone else is talking fast and loud
- What to do when someone interrupts you
- 5 tips for communicating like a pro in meetings
- Keys to making impromptu comments and answering difficult questions
- How to get your foot out of your mouth when youíve made a statement you regret
We stand behind our seminars
with a 100 percent , iron-clad, money-back guarantee
of satisfaction. If for any reason youre not completely satisfied
with the solid skills, the tips, tools and shortcuts, and the crucial
information you receive during this workshop, well refund your money
in full. Every penny. Guaranteed!
to 4:00 p.m. Registration begins at
Discount: When 3 enroll from your organization, a 4th attends
Lunch is on your own.
Education: Select date/location from list box below (Use side arrow to scroll). Complete form and click on 'Send'
Continuing education credits may be recognized by your professional
board. Contact your own board to find out what's required.
If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop,
Bring a seminar to your site! For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Register Online**
National Seminars Group will e-mail confirmation soon. If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a workshop for which you are registered, you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo toward a future workshop. If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop, your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment charge.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.
Please mention the meeting number specified above and BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".