American Management Association Seminars
Taking On Greater Responsiblity: Step-Up Skills For Non-Managers
Seminar No: 02132 -XNBB
CEU Credits: 1.2
Length: 2 days
Get ready to grow in your job and meet new demands.
You have always wanted to make a difference in your company. And now, you probably wear many more hats than you used to. However, to excel in this rapidly changing work environment, you need more skills than ever before--like understanding your business, managing change, communicating strategically, leading, working in teams and juggling your new assignments with current responsibilities.
Who Should Attend
Anyone interested in developing the skills to improve their performance and grow within their organization. Project managers, office staff, assistant and junior managers will benefit, as well as professionals in customer service, sales, accounting and technical fields. The seminar is also designed for high potential employees and individuals who are seeking new responsibilities.
How You Will Benefit
- Feel confident when asked to “step up to the plate” with new projects outside your regular work activities
- Take your skills and potential to new heights with proven-in-action, “get-ahead” strategies
- Understand your role in today’s new workplace...and gain the new skills and competencies required for success
- Meet the rising pressure that tight budgets and lean organizations demand
- Map out a plan of action to enhance your efficiency
Assess the strengths and skills required in today’s workplace and develop effective strategies for success
Develop your analytical thinking: understanding the problem-solving process
Define how your role fits into the business strategy and how it impacts business results
Accept uncertainty and practice coping skills to adapt to change: develop resiliency
Demonstrate the ability to remain positive and proactive in a changing business environment
Preparing for Greater Responsibility
- Identify the Master Competencies for Ongoing Professional Development (Analytic Thinking, Problem Solving, and Coaching/Feedback Seeking) as the Foundation on Which to Achieve Performance Excellence
- Integrate and Apply the Master Competencies to Exceed Present Role Expectations by Developing Abilities in the Five Key Skill Areas for Taking on Greater Responsibility (e.g., Understanding Your Business, Managing Change, Communicating Strategically, Juggling New Assignments and Current Responsibilities, and Leading and Working in Teams)
- Assess Current Levels of Performance in the Five Key Skill Areas for Taking on Greater Responsibility to Set Plans for Skill Development
- Identify Opportunities for Moving up to Bigger Responsibilities in the Five Key Skill Areas by Developing Action Plans to Maximize Potential and Professional Contribution
- Analyze Workplace Demands and Expectations to Integrate a Productive Attitude for Facilitating Necessary Change with and through Others
- Examine and Apply Communication Skills That Build Confidence and Gain Support to Develop New Skills and Move up to More Challenging Responsibilities
- Develop Strategies for Creating and Maintaining a Unique Coaching and Mentoring Partnership with Your Manager That Reflects Professional Priorities and Shared Results-Based Benefits
- Synthesize Fresh Ways of Thinking, Planning and Acting to Upgrade Present Levels of Decision Making and Problem Solving and Achieve New Levels of Responsibility, Organizational Contribution and Professional Recognition
Identifying and Assessing the Five Skill Areas
- Define the Master Competencies for Performance Excellence
- Identify and Practice Coaching and Feedback Seeking Strategies Needed to Move up to Greater Responsibility at Work
- Review and Apply Relevant Analytic Thinking and Problem Solving Skills
First Key to Success: Being Business Smart and Savvy
- Identify Five Key Skill Areas for Taking on Greater Responsibility
- Assess Your Strengths and Liabilities Relative to the Five Skill Areas
- Establish a Professional Planning Process to Guide Your Future Development Using the Five Skill Areas
Second Key to Success: Managing Change
- Define Your Organization’s Mission, Vision and Strategy
- Articulate Your Role as a High-Level Contributor in the Process of Achieving Strategic Results for Your Organization
- Recognize Internal and External Factors That Shape and Impact Your Business Environment and Climate
- Identify and Monitor Resources Covering Present and Future Business Trends That Will Allow You to Create Value-added Contributions at Work
Third Key to Success: Communicating Strategically
- Identify the Link between Dynamic Business Trends, Accepting Uncertainly and Productively Managing Change
- Recognize Common Reasons for Resisting Change and Identify Strategies for Remaining Resilient
- Assess Reasonable Risk Using a Five-Step Process
- Develop an Awareness of the Value of Maintaining a Positive Attitude toward Change
- Synthesize Analytic Thinking and Problem-solving Skills with Strategies for Managing Change
- Apply Creative Idea Generation Skills to Change Management Situations
- Identify Strategies for Leading Others through Change Processes
Fourth Key to Success: Juggling New Assignments and Current Responsibilities
- Identify Your Communication Style and Understand How to Flex to Others' Communication Preferences
- Identify Persuasion and Influencing Strategies That Will Allow You to Impact the Way Others Think, Feel and Behave
- Synthesize and Apply Communication Skills in a Context Specific Situation
Fifth Key to Success: Leading and Working in Teams
- Identify and Take Responsibility for Time Management
- Set Goals and Prioritize Each Day’s Tasks
- Apply Proactive Planning and Organizing Skills to Avoid Unnecessary Chaos
- Create a Working Environment That Utilizes Low- and High-Tech Solutions to Get More Done in Less Time
- Utilize Negotiation Skills to Build Shared Commitment and Creatively Use Resources and Time
Preparing the Plan for Greater Responsibility
- Identify the Roles You Can and Should Bring into Each Team Encounter
- Create a Productive Team Environment That Encourages Everyone to Participate and Share Ideas
- Motivate Teammates to Achieve Team Results Using Communication, Cooperation and Recognition
- Analyze When and How to Step-up to Leadership within the Team Environment
- Synthesize Analytic Thinking, Communication and Decision-Making Skills in the Team Problem-solving Setting
- Synthesize Strategic Development and Performance Goals into a Coherent Presentation
- Present Your Strategic Development and Performance Plan to Your Coaching Triad
- Identify Solutions for the Potential Barriers Your Manager May Present to Your Plan
Start and End times: first day - 8:30am-5pm, all other days 9am-5pm unless otherwise specified. Your registration confirmation notice will confirm the hotel/conference center for the seminar for which you registered. The information included on this page is all the information available on this seminar. Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Online Registration & Fee Information ** Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
Select date/location & complete form below. Then, click on 'Send'
After submitting your online registration you will receive registration confirmation and invoice within 7-10 business days. You may pay by credit card or check. Confirmation information will also include location and other pertinent course information.
Always state priority code XNBB to your customer service representative when registering directly by phone.
Note: Prices are subject to change without notice. To confirm the price of your session, select the session above and click “Send”. Discounts apply for groups of three or more people. Call for details. Federal government employees are eligible for special GSA pricing for many seminars.
AMA's main conference centers
Seminars scheduled for the cities below are held at the locations listed below. For location information for other cities in which AMA seminars are held please call or email for information.
AMA executive Conference Center
1601 Broadway New York, NY 10019
American Management Association (Located in the same building as the Crowne Plaza Hotel) 1601 Broadway On Broadway and 48th Street near Times Square. Entrance is on 48th Street.
AMA executive Conference Center (adjacent to the Marroitt O'Hare)
8655 west higgins rd
Chicago, IL 60631
AMA executive Conference Center is located in San Francisco Marriott Hotel
55 Fourth Street 2nd Level
San Francisco, CA 94103
AMA Executive Conference Center
Address: 1170 Peachtree Street Ne Cnr Peachtree & 14th (3rd Flr)
City, State, Zip: Atlanta, GA 30309
2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22202
If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a seminar you can contact AMA in advance to transfer to a future session, or you can send someone to take your place. If you need to cancel your attendance, AMA will give you a complete refund if you cancel more than three weeks before your seminar begins. To cancel, simply email us at
. If you cancel with less than three weeks’ advance notice, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. Once your payment has been received, you may request a courtesy transfer to use at any future AMA seminar of equal or lesser length. The courtesy transfer must be used within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar. In fairness to all attendees, if you do not attend a seminar session for which you are confirmed and do not contact AMA to cancel in advance, you will be charged the entire seminar fee.
AMA grants courtesy transfers to people who cannot attend their scheduled sessions. You can use a courtesy transfer for any seminar of equal or lesser length than the original seminar. You must use your courtesy transfer within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar.
AMA guarantees the quality of our seminars. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a seminar for which you have paid, AMA will give you credit toward another seminar of comparable price or will refund your fee.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.