American Management Association Seminars
Select date/location & complete form below. Then, click on 'Send'
Staying Connected: Communication Skills For Successful Virtual Work Relationships
Seminar No: 02135 -XNBB
CEU Credits: 1.2
Length: 2 days
No one can afford to be "out of the loop" in today’s everchanging business arena. If you’re working in a virtual environment...make sure you’re doing everything to overcome the communication challenges that can distance you from your organization.
The virtual world demands a whole new kind of interpersonal communication skills. This seminar focuses on how to communicate effectively as telecommuters, members of remote project teams, geographically dispersed employees or employees of decentralized organizations. Plus--how to get your messages across clearly, effectively and without any "virtual" interference.
Managers of sales forces, sales managers, project managers, team members, employees working in satellite offices, telecommuters, HR and OD professionals and anyone working with others who are not physically located in the same office.
How You Will Benefit:
- Get more accomplished by building rapport and establishing highly productive work relationships
- Move projects along quickly by selecting virtual communication channels that are most appropriate for each stage—and accommodate receiver preferences
- Increase productivity and reduce mistakes by sending accurate, clear and concise messages
What You Will Cover:
- Developing high performance virtual work relationships based on trust
- Effectively communicating content and emotion using voice, phrasing and vocabulary to increase understanding
- Identifying and adapting to virtual communication styles and preferences
- Maintaining motivation and a sense of connectedness with all virtual employees
Extended/Detailed Seminar Outline
Human Communication and Virtual Work
- Apply Effective Relationship-based Communication Skills to Successfully Work with Others Who Are Not Physically Located in the Same Place., e.g., Telecommuters, Colleagues in Remote Locations, Workers in Decentralized Offices, Customers, Vendors, etc.
- Identify the Strengths and Weaknesses of Various Electronic Communication Options, Defining When and How to Use Each to Build Productivity
- Establish, Build, and Maintain Trust to Create a Sense of Rapport Resulting in Productive Partnerships with Clients and Internal/External Customers in Remote Sites
- Express What You Mean, Both Content and Emotion, through Effective Use of Voice, Phrasing, Vocabulary, Style, and Form
- Identify and Analyze Others' Sensory Preferences for Taking in and Processing Information in Order to Implement Successful Virtual Communication
- Recognize and Apply Appropriate Virtual Communication Strategies to Attain Recognition and Productivity When Working with and through Others
Planning for Virtual Communication Success
- Identify and Discuss the Importance and Key Characteristics of Effective Communication in the Virtual Workplace
- Evaluate the General Impact of Technology on Communicative Interactions and Identify Appropriate Adjustments
- Define the Concept of Communication Channel and Identify the Channels Most Typically Used in Virtual Working Environments
- Assess the Strengths, Weaknesses, and Best Uses of a Variety of Virtual Environment Communication Channels
Basic #1-Establish Trust
- Evaluate the General Impact of Technology on Organizational Viability and Workplace Relationships
- Define the Concept of Relationship-Centered Communication Networks
- Position Relationship-Centered Communication Networks as a Fundamental Approach for Addressing the Challenges Presented by Virtual Work Relationships
- Identify the Components and Working Practices That Contribute to Effective Use of Relationship-Centered Communication Networks
- Assess Personal and Organizational Implementation of Relationship-Centered Communication Networks and Establish a Plan to Enhance Your Use of These Skills
Basic #2-Communicate Content and Feeling
- Identify and Discuss the Importance of the Key Characteristics of Trust in All Our Workplace Relationships
- Recognize the Important Links between Trust and Relationship-Centered Communication Networks When Building Effective Virtual Relationships
- Establish a Plan for Communicating Trust in Virtual Relationships Using Newly Acquired Skills and Strategies
- Apply New Understandings and Skills to Problem-Solve Workplace Situations Where Establishing and Nurturing Trust Is Pivotal to Successfully Conducting Virtual Work
Basic #3-Identify and Adapt to Virtual Communication Styles
- Recognize the Role of Content and Feelings in Sending and Receiving Clear Communications through Face-to-Face and Virtual Channels
- Identify and Use Active Listening Skills That Support Creation of Shared Meaning
- Assess the Uses of Voice and Delivery as Applied through Virtual Channels
- Assess the Ways in Which Meaning Is Enhanced in e-Mail Applications through the Use of Feeling Cues and Content Structures
Basic #4-Maintain Motivation and Sense of Connectedness
- Recognize That We Communicate Face-to-Face and Virtually with Particular Preferences and These Preferences Shape How We Perceive, Process and Assign Meaning to Messages
- Assess the Principles of Neurolinguistic Programming as They Expand Our Understanding of Communication Preferences and Virtual Relationship Interactions
- Identify Your Personal Neurolinguistic Communication Preferences as Well as Those of Others
- Personal Communication Preferences to Flex and Fit the Preferences of Others in Order to Facilitate Interactions in Traditional or Virtual Channels
- Assess a Virtual Relationship in Order to Establish a Plan to Improve Communication and Productivity Using NLP Insights and Strategies
Integrating Communication Skills for the Virtual Workplace
- Assess Why Virtual Workers Do Not Feel Part of an Organization or Process and Identify Remedies for Each of These Situations
- Identify the Role of Context in Virtual Cross-Cultural Work and Relationships to Make More Effective Choices around Communication Channels and Adaptations
- Apply the Concept of Role and Responsibility Charting to Managing Virtual Work Conducted with and through Others
- Identify Recognition Skills and Strategies That Communicate Support of Virtual Work Relationships and Build Productivity
Setting a Plan for Continued Skill Growth
- Synthesize and Apply New Communication Skills for Successful Virtual Relationships in a Work Situation
- Develop an Achievable Plan to Implement Personal Communication Skills for Successful Virtual Relationships
Start and End times: first day - 8:30am-5pm, all other days 9am-5pm unless otherwise specified. Your registration confirmation notice will confirm the hotel/conference center for the seminar for which you registered. The information included on this page is all the information available on this seminar. Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 1-919-847-0331 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Online Registration & Fee Information ** Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
After submitting your online registration you will receive registration confirmation and invoice within 7-10 business days. You may pay by credit card or check. Confirmation information will also include location and other pertinent course information.
Always state priority code XNBB to your customer service representative when registering directly by phone.
Note: Prices are subject to change without notice. To confirm the price of your session, select the session above and click “Send”. Discounts apply for groups of three or more people. Call for details. Federal government employees are eligible for special GSA pricing for many seminars.
AMA's main conference centers
Seminars scheduled for the cities below are held at the locations listed below. For location information for other cities in which AMA seminars are held please call or email for information.
AMA executive Conference Center
1601 Broadway New York, NY 10019
American Management Association (Located in the same building as the Crowne Plaza Hotel) 1601 Broadway On Broadway and 48th Street near Times Square. Entrance is on 48th Street.
AMA executive Conference Center (adjacent to the Marroitt O'Hare)
8655 west higgins rd
Chicago, IL 60631
AMA executive Conference Center is located in San Francisco Marriott Hotel
55 Fourth Street 2nd Level
San Francisco, CA 94103
AMA Executive Conference Center
Address: 1170 Peachtree Street Ne Cnr Peachtree & 14th (3rd Flr)
City, State, Zip: Atlanta, GA 30309
2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22202
If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a seminar you can contact AMA in advance to transfer to a future session, or you can send someone to take your place. If you need to cancel your attendance, AMA will give you a complete refund if you cancel more than three weeks before your seminar begins. To cancel, simply email us at
. If you cancel with less than three weeks’ advance notice, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. Once your payment has been received, you may request a courtesy transfer to use at any future AMA seminar of equal or lesser length. The courtesy transfer must be used within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar. In fairness to all attendees, if you do not attend a seminar session for which you are confirmed and do not contact AMA to cancel in advance, you will be charged the entire seminar fee.
AMA grants courtesy transfers to people who cannot attend their scheduled sessions. You can use a courtesy transfer for any seminar of equal or lesser length than the original seminar. You must use your courtesy transfer within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar.
AMA guarantees the quality of our seminars. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a seminar for which you have paid, AMA will give you credit toward another seminar of comparable price or will refund your fee.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-847-0331.