American Management Association Seminars
Select date/location & complete form below. Then, click on 'Send'
Successfully Managing People
Seminar No: 02295 -XNBB
CEU Credits: 1.8
Length: 3 days
A dynamic and innovative approach to increasing your skills for managing people more effectively!
Your results as a manager depend on other people! And because people come with a variety of values and belief systems that motivate their behavior and actions, it’s critical that you learn how to recognize what drives the people with whom you work. Gaining insight into why marginal performance and difficult behaviors arise is a major step in reversing negative behavior in the workplace. This seminar will help you gain cooperation, consensus, motivation and buy-in from your staff...team members...colleagues and superiors by expanding your knowledge of what makes people "tick." And if you are manager who feels caught between the needs of all the different groups with which you work, this highly interactive seminar is for you!
Managers or individuals with management responsibilities whose success depends on clear communication, a cooperative attitude and a commitment to shared goals.
How You Will Benefit:
- Motivate and direct the people you rely on – even if they don't share your values
- Learn to negotiate people and work issues – reduce conflict, get commitment, produce results
- Create a winner’s orientation to every challenge
- Increase your confidence, your leadership skills and your personal and professional satisfaction in your job
- Develop a success-oriented “can do” attitude
- Win the cooperation of everyone in the organization through influence, emotional intelligence and awareness of personal style
- Respond effectively to difficult people, poor performers and pressures from the top
What You Will Cover:
- How values and beliefs affect our behavior
- Increasing your awareness of different work styles to manage more effectively
- How to identify sources of resistance and modify defensiveness in others
- How to use your personal strengths to build positive working relationships
- Putting new concepts into action: Real-life case studies and a simulated management project
People who took this seminar were also interested in:
Other Management Courses
Improving Your Managerial Effectiveness
Management Skills for New Managers
Managing Technical Professionals
Seminars to Enhance your Management Capabilities
Improving Your Project Management Skills
Fundamentals of Finance and Accounting for Nonfinancial Executives
Developing Executive Leadership
Skills Every Professional Needs to Master
The Voice of Leadership
Building Better Work Relationships
Extended/Detailed Course Outline
Managing People Successfully in the 21st Century
- Meet the New Demands and Rising Expectations of the 21st Century Workplace
- Discover How Leaders Get Followers...and the Secret behind Charisma
- Win the Cooperation of Everyone in the Organization through Influence, Emotional Intelligence, and Awareness of Personal Style
- Respond Effectively to Frustrating Performance and "People Problems"
- Communicate More Accurately by Listening for Both Emotion and Content
How Values Influence the Thinking and Actions of Managers
- Recognize How Economic and Social Trends Have Changed the Manager’s Role
- Identify the New Language That Reflects This Change
- Define "Successfully Managing People" as "Getting People to Want to Do What They’re Supposed to Do"
- Discuss and Illustrate Specific Challenges They Face Motivating Others in Today’s Organizations
Influencing Others through Their Own Values
- Define the Meaning and Sources of Values
- Explain How Values Influence Actions in Personal and Organizational Life
- Describe the Positive and Negative Consequences of Values and Beliefs
- Articulate Their Personal Values
- Discuss Their Responses to Value Conflicts in Themselves and Others
Building Positive Working Relationships through Personal Style
- Acknowledge and Demonstrate Their Ability to Control Their Reactions to and Interpretations of Other People’s Behavior
- Discuss How Leaders Mobilize Followers through Values
- Identify Leadership as the Key Skill in "Getting People to Want to Do What They
- Have to Do"
- Model a Four-step Values-based Approach to Managing and Motivating Others
- Describe Five Ways of "Managing from the Heart"
- Demonstrate Applying the Four-step Values-based Approach to Their Actual Work Situations
From Boss to Coach: Motivating in the Real World
- Discuss Temperament as a Component of Diversity
- Identify the Behavioral Characteristics Associated with Four Temperaments
- Brainstorm Methods of Dealing Effectively with People of Various Temperaments
- Help Others Become More Effective When Dealing with Them
- Use Behavioral Clues to Identify the Personal Style Preferences of People in Typical Work Situations
- Develop Specific Strategies for Improving Relationships with People at Their Jobs
Using Emotional Intelligence to Successfully Manage People
- Differentiate the Factors That Get People to the Job from Those That Get Them to Do the Job-or, Distinguish between What Gets People out of Bed from What Gets Them to Do Their Jobs
- Explain Why and How Managers Cannot Motivate Others but Can Create Conditions That Permit Others' Intrinsic Motivators to Flourish
- Explore the Motivators That Are Present and Absent in Their Workplaces
- Develop Strategies to Increase the Motivators in Their Workplaces
Simulated Management Project and "Letter Home"
- Describe the Components of Emotional Intelligence
- Recognize the Central Role of Emotion in the Brain
- Assess Their Own Level of Emotional Intelligence
- Demonstrate the Ability to Use EQ Communication Strategies
- Develop an EQ Improvement Strategy
- Demonstrate the Ability to Use a Variety of Skills and Strategies from the Course
- Use Values and Behavioral Styles Different from Their Own and Recognize the Difficulties That Result
- Write Themselves a Letter Summarizing Their Learnings: Both New Ideas/Strategies and Validations of Current Practices
Start and End times: first day - 8:30am-5pm, all other days 9am-5pm unless otherwise specified. Your registration confirmation notice will confirm the hotel/conference center for the seminar for which you registered. The information included on this page is all the information available on this seminar. Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Online Registration & Fee Information ** Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
After submitting your online registration you will receive registration confirmation and invoice within 7-10 business days. You may pay by credit card or check. Confirmation information will also include location and other pertinent course information.
Always state priority code XNBB to your customer service representative when registering directly by phone.
Note: Prices are subject to change without notice. To confirm the price of your session, select the session above and click “Send”. Discounts apply for groups of three or more people. Call for details. Federal government employees are eligible for special GSA pricing for many seminars.
AMA's main conference centers
Seminars scheduled for the cities below are held at the locations listed below. For location information for other cities in which AMA seminars are held please call or email for information.
AMA executive Conference Center
1601 Broadway New York, NY 10019
American Management Association (Located in the same building as the Crowne Plaza Hotel) 1601 Broadway On Broadway and 48th Street near Times Square. Entrance is on 48th Street.
AMA executive Conference Center (adjacent to the Marroitt O'Hare)
8655 west higgins rd
Chicago, IL 60631
AMA executive Conference Center is located in San Francisco Marriott Hotel
55 Fourth Street 2nd Level
San Francisco, CA 94103
AMA Executive Conference Center
Address: 1170 Peachtree Street Ne Cnr Peachtree & 14th (3rd Flr)
City, State, Zip: Atlanta, GA 30309
2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22202
If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a seminar you can contact AMA in advance to transfer to a future session, or you can send someone to take your place. If you need to cancel your attendance, AMA will give you a complete refund if you cancel more than three weeks before your seminar begins. To cancel, simply email us at
. If you cancel with less than three weeks’ advance notice, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. Once your payment has been received, you may request a courtesy transfer to use at any future AMA seminar of equal or lesser length. The courtesy transfer must be used within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar. In fairness to all attendees, if you do not attend a seminar session for which you are confirmed and do not contact AMA to cancel in advance, you will be charged the entire seminar fee.
AMA grants courtesy transfers to people who cannot attend their scheduled sessions. You can use a courtesy transfer for any seminar of equal or lesser length than the original seminar. You must use your courtesy transfer within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar.
AMA guarantees the quality of our seminars. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a seminar for which you have paid, AMA will give you credit toward another seminar of comparable price or will refund your fee.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.