American Management Association Seminars
Select date/location & complete form below. Then, click on 'Send'
Seminar No: 02509 -XNBB
CEU Credits: 1.8
Length: 3 days
Successfully bridge the gap between top management and your managers.
Now that you are managing other managers, you need to balance strategy and operations, communicating top management's vision to those you direct and helping them effectively translate this strategic message into operational activities. Here's how you can get your managers in sync with corporate strategies and turn your team into your organization's most powerful asset.
Individuals with three or more years of managerial experience; current or prospective managers of other managers. Note: Prior attendance in at least one skills-based management course is recommended.
How You Will Benefit:
- Be an effective strategic liaison between senior management and first-line managers
- Leverage the talents of your managers to achieve organizational goals
- Become a leadership model for your managers
- Motivate your managers and help them motivate their direct reports
- Use delegation to empower your managers
- Encourage continuous improvement and help your managers implement change
What You Will Cover:
People who took this seminar were also interested in:
- Managing managers with Strategic Edge
- Performance management: Characteristics of effective managers
- Understanding your role as strategic liaison
- Motivating managers for maximum performance
- Delegating for organizational growth
- Communicating organizational goals
- Coaching managers to coach
Other Management Courses
Managing Technical Professionals
Successfully Managing People
Seminars to Enhance your Management Capabilities
Moving from an Operational Manager to a Strategic Leader
Fundamentals of Finance and Accounting for Nonfinancial Executives
Developing Executive Leadership
Skills Every Professional Needs to Master
Negotiating to Win
Strategies for Developing Effective Presentation Skills
The Voice of Leadership Skills
Extended/Detailed Course Outline
Managing Managers with Strategic Edge
- Be an Effective Strategic Liaison between Senior Management and the First-line Managers
- Leverage the Talents of Your Managers to Achieve Organizational Goals
- Become a Leadership Model for Your Managers
- Motivate Your Managers and Help Them Motivate Their Direct Reports
- Use Delegation to Empower Your Managers
- Encourage Continuous Improvement and Help Your Managers Implement Change
Effective Management Skills
- Understand the Importance of Listening Skills
- Practice Listening Skills
- Identify the Strategic Challenges Facing a Manager’s Manager
- Understand That the Challenges You Face in Your Role Are Not Unique to You, but Shared with Other Manager’s Managers
- Utilize a Dual Focus in Developing Your Own Managerial Skills and the Skills of Your Managers
Your Role as Strategic Liaison
- Develop an Understanding of the Characteristics of Effective Managers
- Assess Your Current Level of Management Effectiveness
- Learn Five Essential Management Traits to Help Bridge the Divide between Upper and Lower Management
- Inspire a Shared Vision
- Learn to Model the Way
- Learn How to Enable Others to Act
- Challenge the Process
- Learn How to Encourage the Heart
- Create an Individualized Action Plan to Enhance Effective Management Skills
- Understand the Challenges of a Strategic Liaison
- Learn How to Operationalize the Organizational Strategy and Achieve the Organizational Vision through Your Management Team
- Determine Critical Success Factors for Achieving Your Goals
- Develop Monitoring and Measurement Tools to Determine Achievement of Vision and Organizational Performance Goals
- Recognize the Importance of Colleagues in Other Departments as Strategic Alliances
- Build a Network of Relationships throughout the Organization to Achieve Goals
Delegating for Organizational Growth
- Understand What Motivates Managers and How to Encourage the Heart (LPI)
- Assess Your "Encouraging the Heart" Skills
- Learn How to Create an Atmosphere Where Managers Can Be Motivated
- Help Your Managers Create an Atmosphere for Motivating Their Groups
- Share Ideas of What Other Managers/Organizations Are Currently Using to Create a Motivational Atmosphere
Communicating Organizational Goals
- Learn What Are Your Values and Priorities and How You Balance Your Life
- Understand the Concept of Empowerment
- Learn the Benefits of Delegation as a Tool for Leading Managers to Greater Organizational Growth
- Assess the Adequacy of Your Delegation Skills and Those of Your Managers
- Determine How to Empower Others to Take Greater Responsibility and Make the Best of Decision-Making Opportunities
- Rethink to Whom, When, and How to Best Delegate to Minimize Risk
- Understand the Best Leadership Style Needed to Manage Your Managers; i.e., Micro-managing vs. Delegating Authority
Coaching Managers to Coach
- Learn How to Communicate the Strategic Message to Your Employees, Your Manager, and Your Peers
- Analyze Various Approaches to Communication Challenges and Determine the Most Effective Method for You
- Understand the Importance of Listening, Barriers That Prevent You from Listening Effectively, and the Consequences of Inaccurate Listening
- Take an In-depth Case, Analyze the Communication Problems, and Plan for Problem Resolution
- Determine How to Obtain Feedback from Others and How to Influence Upward
- Learn about Your Approach to Change Management and How You Can Become More Effective
Linking Workshop Learnings to Your Job
- Assess Current Coaching Style Preference
- Understand Why Coaching Is Different from Managing
- Learn Different Types and Settings of Coaching
- Learn How and When to Adjust Your Coaching Style to Meet the Needs of Directs or Others
- Learn How to Coach Managers for Improved Performance or Enhanced Leadership
- Develop Sensitivity to Coaching a Widely Diverse Workforce
- Practice the Four-step Process of Effective Coaching
- Develop a Realistic/Actionable Plan That You Can Implement Back on the Job
- Create Action Steps to Develop Your Managers
- Coach Your Peers and Be "Coached" to Ensure Creation of a "Realistic" Plan
Start and End times: first day - 8:30am-5pm, all other days 9am-5pm unless otherwise specified. Your registration confirmation notice will confirm the hotel/conference center for the seminar for which you registered. The information included on this page is all the information available on this seminar. Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Online Registration & Fee Information ** Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
After submitting your online registration you will receive registration confirmation and invoice within 7-10 business days. You may pay by credit card or check. Confirmation information will also include location and other pertinent course information.
Always state priority code XNBB to your customer service representative when registering directly by phone.
Note: Prices are subject to change without notice. To confirm the price of your session, select the session above and click “Send”. Discounts apply for groups of three or more people. Call for details. Federal government employees are eligible for special GSA pricing for many seminars.
AMA's main conference centers
Seminars scheduled for the cities below are held at the locations listed below. For location information for other cities in which AMA seminars are held please call or email for information.
AMA executive Conference Center
1601 Broadway New York, NY 10019
American Management Association (Located in the same building as the Crowne Plaza Hotel) 1601 Broadway On Broadway and 48th Street near Times Square. Entrance is on 48th Street.
AMA executive Conference Center (adjacent to the Marroitt O'Hare)
8655 west higgins rd
Chicago, IL 60631
AMA executive Conference Center is located in San Francisco Marriott Hotel
55 Fourth Street 2nd Level
San Francisco, CA 94103
AMA Executive Conference Center
Address: 1170 Peachtree Street Ne Cnr Peachtree & 14th (3rd Flr)
City, State, Zip: Atlanta, GA 30309
2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22202
If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a seminar you can contact AMA in advance to transfer to a future session, or you can send someone to take your place. If you need to cancel your attendance, AMA will give you a complete refund if you cancel more than three weeks before your seminar begins. To cancel, simply email us at
. If you cancel with less than three weeks’ advance notice, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. Once your payment has been received, you may request a courtesy transfer to use at any future AMA seminar of equal or lesser length. The courtesy transfer must be used within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar. In fairness to all attendees, if you do not attend a seminar session for which you are confirmed and do not contact AMA to cancel in advance, you will be charged the entire seminar fee.
AMA grants courtesy transfers to people who cannot attend their scheduled sessions. You can use a courtesy transfer for any seminar of equal or lesser length than the original seminar. You must use your courtesy transfer within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar.
AMA guarantees the quality of our seminars. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a seminar for which you have paid, AMA will give you credit toward another seminar of comparable price or will refund your fee.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.