American Management Association Seminars
Select date/location & complete form below. Then, click on 'Send'
Managing Supplier Performance: Measurement, Quality Improvement And Certification
Seminar No: 04269 -XNBB
CEU Credits: 1.2
Length: 2 days
Learn to effectively managing suppliers in order to save money, avoid risks, enhance operations—and thrive in today’s business environment.
Materials managers, purchasing managers, buyers, quality control technicians, quality control managers, plant managers, industrial and operations managers and product managers.
How You Will Benefit:
- Discover the six-step process for evaluating strategies for supplier partnerships
- Develop a collaborative, productive partnership with each supplier
- Create an environment that produces a productive exchange of ideas
- Assure adequate and vigorous bidding—but reduced time, clerical, recording and follow-up costs associated with unrealistic bidders
- Do business only with top-notch suppliers
What You Will Cover:
- How target costing and supplier performance work hand-in-hand
- When to involve suppliers in designing products and services
- Calculating total cost of procurement for performance measurement
- Educating your organization about performance measurement
- How performance measures fit into the strategic supply framework
- Building a cross-functional team for supply sourcing
- How ISO-9000 and QS-9000 can help qualification
- The seven steps to supplier certification
Extended/Detailed Seminar Outline
The Value of Effective Supplier Performance-Insuring Business Alignment
- Discover the Six-Step Process for Evaluating Strategies for Supplier Partnerships
- Develop a Collaborative, Productive Partnership with Each Supplier
- Create an Environment That Produces a Productive Exchange of Ideas
- Assure Adequate and Vigorous Bidding-but Reduced Time, Clerical, Recording, and Follow-up Costs Associated with Unrealistic Bidders
- Do Business Only with Top-Notch Suppliers
Targeting Your Commodities for Performance Measurement, Using Total Cost as the Essential Measure
- Learn the Value of Effective Supplier Measurement Systems to the Firm
- Understand the Criteria That Make Suppliers of Materials, Processes, Goods and Services Measurable
- Address How a Company Manages Performance of External Providers of Materials, Processes, Goods and Services
- Understand How the Firm’s Business Strategy Drives the Supply Chain/Purchasing Strategy Deployed to Measure Suppliers
- Understand the Critical Areas of Expertise Required by the Materials and Sourcing Function to Proactively Manage Supplier Performance
The Supply Management Framework for Effective Performance Management
- Learn How Supplier Performance Criteria Are Identified and Ultimately Measured
- Learn How to Establish a Firm’s Principal Requirements (Quality, Responsiveness, Dependability, Cost of Ownership, Technology, and Environmental Impact) with Its Key Suppliers
- Learn to Use the Cost Targeting Tool to Segment a Firm’s Purchases into Categories to Identify Performance Improvement Opportunities for the Firm
- Learn about the Concept of Cost Drivers and How They Are Used to Assess the Areas for Performance Improvement within the Firm’s Supply Base
- Learn How to Obtain Critical Supplier Data and Information to Help in the Performance Improvement Assessment Study
Benchmarks of Supplier Excellence-Examples of Companies with Effective Supplier Performance Systems
- Learn the Criteria for an Evaluation System for a Firm’s Key Suppliers
- Understand How a Supplier Evaluation and Measurement System Fits into the Strategic Supply Management Framework of the Firm
- Review the Supplier Selection and Qualification Process and Understand Its Link to Establishing a Performance Management Program for the Firm
- Learn How to Identify Supplier Candidates for a Supply Performance Improvement Program
- Understand the Guidelines for Developing a Supplier Improvement and Certification Program for a Firm; Define Certification
- Review the Tracking and Feedback Systems Used to Manage Supplier Performance
- Understand How Supplier Performance Management Is Built around Longer-Term Partnering Relationships, Particularly with Key Suppliers
Assessing the Preconditions for Measuring Supplier Performance- Supplier Selection and Qualification Criteria
- Learn How a Firm Assures That Materials, Components, and Services Furnished by Suppliers to the Firm and Other Business Units Meet the Company’s Performance Requirements
- Learn How Other Companies Have Achieved Success in Managing Their Firm’s Key Supplier Performance Measurement Criteria
- Understand the Different Methodologies Used to Manage Total Cost and Supplier Linkage (DuPont); Supplier Quality (Ford); Supplier Development (Honda); Certification (J&J and McDonnell Douglas); Strategic Alliance (Foxboro) and Evaluate Them against World-Class Performance
Supplier Performance Tracking and Feedback Mechanisms
- Learn How to Develop Performance Evaluation Criteria with Potential Key Suppliers
- Learn How to Build an Effective Cross-Functional Supply Management Team to Assess Performance of Potential Key Suppliers to the Firm
- Learn How to Assess and Segregate the Musts and Wants from the Evaluation Criteria Developed for Key Potential Suppliers
- Learn about the ISO 9000 and QS 9000 Quality Management Systems, and Tools That Can Help in the Key Supplier Qualification Process
- Learn to Evaluate Various Methods to Qualify and Improve Suppliers
- Learn How to Incorporate ISO Management Criteria into the Supplier Pre-assessment
- Review a Due Diligence Supplier Pre-assessment (Pre-survey and On-site) to Determine the Attributes and Capabilities Which May Apply to the Selection Process of Key Supplier
- Establish the Expected Performance Criteria and the Measures Used to Assess Performance with Suppliers, as Well as Internal Providers of Goods, Materials and Services to the Firm
- Learn How to Design a Supplier Performance Management Program for Implementation
Moving from Supplier Improvement Initiatives to Supplier Certification-Major Elements of Certification Management
- Learn the Components of a Supplier Rating System to Measure Performance or the Ability to Meet the Firm’s Evaluation Criteria
- Learn the Obstacles Which Arise in Measuring and Managing Supplier Performance and How to Deal with Them as They Arise in Performance Tracking and Feedback
- Determine Whether or Not a Firm’s Requirements Are Being Met, and How Performance Information Is Fed Back to Suppliers
- Review Measurement Plans and Reporting Systems to Implement at the Onset of Supplier Performance Tracking and Feedback to Assure Success
- Learn about the Balanced Scorecard and How to Use This Concept to Index and Track Performance Results and Continuous Improvement over Time for a Firm
- Learn the Right and Wrong Ways to Provide Feedback to Suppliers
- Learn How to Change Supplier Attitude, Behavior and Performance Using Supplier Performance Metrics and Incentive Options
Building Synergy through Strategic Alliances and Partnerships
- Understand the Major Elements of the Supplier Certification Program Process
- Learn the Seven Steps to Follow in Implementing a Successful Supplier Certification Program
- Learn How to Select Suppliers for a Supplier Certification Program
- Learn the Prerequisites to Supplier Certification and How to Establish a Plan to Begin the Certification Process with Key Suppliers to the Firm
- Learn How to Conduct Supplier Site Surveys and Audits on a Predetermined Basis to Monitor Ongoing Processes Which Assure Conformance to Performance Objectives
- Review the Tools to Survey Suppliers' Capability to Consistently Perform
- Establish Ways That Suppliers Can Participate in Meeting the Strategic Objectives of the Company, i.e., Provide Unique Design, Integration, and Marketing Capabilities through Customer-Supplier Teams
- Review the Major Goals and Objectives of a Supplier Improvement and Partnership Program and the Guidelines to Follow in Establishing a Successful Supplier Partnership Relationship
- Develop an Understanding of the Elements of Successful and Unsuccessful Alliances
- Learn the Process for Developing Supplier Partnerships
- Learn How to Evaluate Strategies for Beginning Supplier Alliances
- Learn Ways to Find Evidence of Supplier Superiority toward the Road to Discovering Partnership Candidates
Start and End times: first day - 8:30am-5pm, all other days 9am-5pm unless otherwise specified. Your registration confirmation notice will confirm the hotel/conference center for the seminar for which you registered. The information included on this page is all the information available on this seminar. Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Online Registration & Fee Information ** Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
After submitting your online registration you will receive registration confirmation and invoice within 7-10 business days. You may pay by credit card or check. Confirmation information will also include location and other pertinent course information.
Always state priority code XNBB to your customer service representative when registering directly by phone.
Note: Prices are subject to change without notice. To confirm the price of your session, select the session above and click “Send”. Discounts apply for groups of three or more people. Call for details. Federal government employees are eligible for special GSA pricing for many seminars.
AMA's main conference centers
Seminars scheduled for the cities below are held at the locations listed below. For location information for other cities in which AMA seminars are held please call or email for information.
AMA executive Conference Center
1601 Broadway New York, NY 10019
American Management Association (Located in the same building as the Crowne Plaza Hotel) 1601 Broadway On Broadway and 48th Street near Times Square. Entrance is on 48th Street.
AMA executive Conference Center (adjacent to the Marroitt O'Hare)
8655 west higgins rd
Chicago, IL 60631
AMA executive Conference Center is located in San Francisco Marriott Hotel
55 Fourth Street 2nd Level
San Francisco, CA 94103
AMA Executive Conference Center
Address: 1170 Peachtree Street Ne Cnr Peachtree & 14th (3rd Flr)
City, State, Zip: Atlanta, GA 30309
2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22202
If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a seminar you can contact AMA in advance to transfer to a future session, or you can send someone to take your place. If you need to cancel your attendance, AMA will give you a complete refund if you cancel more than three weeks before your seminar begins. To cancel, simply email us at
. If you cancel with less than three weeks’ advance notice, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. Once your payment has been received, you may request a courtesy transfer to use at any future AMA seminar of equal or lesser length. The courtesy transfer must be used within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar. In fairness to all attendees, if you do not attend a seminar session for which you are confirmed and do not contact AMA to cancel in advance, you will be charged the entire seminar fee.
AMA grants courtesy transfers to people who cannot attend their scheduled sessions. You can use a courtesy transfer for any seminar of equal or lesser length than the original seminar. You must use your courtesy transfer within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar.
AMA guarantees the quality of our seminars. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a seminar for which you have paid, AMA will give you credit toward another seminar of comparable price or will refund your fee.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.