American Management Association Seminars
Select date/location & complete form below. Then, click on 'Send'
Agile Project Management Certification Workshop (PMI-ACP)
Seminar No: 76001-XNBB
Credits: 21 PDU /18.5 CPE
Length: 3 days
Become one of the first to earn this valuable industry certification!
Agile has made its way into the mainstream - it’s no longer a grassroots movement. Today, more companies are adopting this approach over a traditional waterfall methodology, and more are about to make the transition.
To stay relevant in the competitive, changing world of project management, it’s important that project management professionals demonstrate true leadership ability on today’s software projects.
The Project Management Institute’s Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) certification clearly illustrates to colleagues, organizations and potential employers that you’re a leader. This class not only prepares you to lead your next Agile project effort, but ensures that you’re prepared to pass the PMI-ACP certification exam.
How You Will Benefit
What You Will Cover
- Learn Agile principles and practices that transform team performance
- Coach high-performance teams who deliver results
- Discover techniques to more actively manage project scope and better ensure delivery of the best products possible
- Evaluate how new approaches to manage project scope, schedule, budget and quality are easily improved through effective Agile controls
- Combine best methods from multiple Agile methodologies
- Build trust with your team and customers through consistent cadence of “common sense” best practices
- Learn the most powerful metrics to ensure continuous improvement
- Avoid the pitfalls many teams fall into when adopting Agile practices
- Transition from a ‘Command and Control’ leadership style to the more powerful ‘Servant Leadership’ method of management
- React and respond to change quickly to seize competitive advantage
- Learn why studies have shown Agile teams are significantly happier with their work, and ensure this benefit for your own team
Who Should Attend
- Practice developing and participating in self-organized teams
- Create and communicate a Product Vision to ensure the delivery of true product value
- Learn to understand your customer and develop user roles and personas
- Initiate the requirements process by developing user stories and your product backlog
- Put together product themes from your user stories and establish a desired product roadmap
- Conduct story point estimating to determine effort needed for user stories to ultimately determine iteration(s) length
- Take into consideration assumed team velocity with story point estimates and user story priorities to come up with you release plan
- Engage the planning and execution of your iteration(s)
- Conduct retrospectives after each iteration
- Run a course retrospective to enable an individual plan of execution on how to conduct Agile in your environment
This course is designed for anyone who is considering the use of an Agile methodology for software development, including project managers, analysts, developers, programmers, testers, IT managers/directors, software engineers, software architects, software managers, testing managers, team leaders and customers.
Extended Seminar Outline
Understanding Agile project management
- Managing change while delivering the product
- Determining the project schedule and release plan
- Identifying a team’s “velocity,” their measure of productivity
- The five Levels of Agile planning and how they work together
- Using tools such as burn-down charts and task boards to monitor team progress
- How to conquer the battle over ‘scope creep’
- Consistently delivering what the customer truly needs and wants
- Understanding complex environments
- Allowing the customer to be in charge of the project scope
- Ensure your product maximizes ROI after delivery
- Communicating to customer the metric of work delivered vs. budget expended
- Ensure the value of what is developed exceeds the investment required
- Employing product demonstrations to ensure you meet expectations
- Applying Agile testing techniques to create high-quality, re-factored code
- Write effective acceptance criteria for identified requirements
- Code reviews, paired programming and test-driven development
- Collaboration essentials
- Managing the individual personalities of the team
- Understanding your coaching style
- The Agile project team roles
- Managing distributed teams
- Review of common Agile metrics
- Taskboards as tactical metrics for the team
- Communicate current status and projected delivery date
- A crucial part of every Agile approach
- How team commitment empowers continuous improvement
- How to effectively use retrospectives
- Improving the team’s approach over time
Transitioning to Agile Project Management
- Project leadership over simple project management
- Command and control versus servant leadership
- Insulating the team from disruption and distraction
- Matching requirements to opportunities
Preparing for the Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) Certification Exam (full day)
- Correlating current challenges to solutions
- How corporate culture affects team ability
- Overcoming initial resistance to Agile
- Navigating around popular Agile myths
- Completing your PMI-ACP application
- Complete your reservation to take the certification exam
- What to expect on your exam
- In-depth review of each section of the exam
- What you will need to know
- How to prepare to pass the exam on your first try
- Review of sample test questions
Start and End times: first day - 8:30am-5pm, all other days 9am-5pm unless otherwise specified. Your registration confirmation notice will confirm the hotel/conference center for the seminar for which you registered. The information included on this page is all the information available on this seminar. Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Online Registration & Fee Information ** Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
After submitting your online registration you will receive registration confirmation and invoice within 7-10 business days. You may pay by credit card or check. Confirmation information will also include location and other pertinent course information.
Always state priority code XNBB to your customer service representative when registering directly by phone.
Note: Prices are subject to change without notice. To confirm the price of your session, select the session above and click “Send”. Discounts apply for groups of three or more people. Call for details. Federal government employees are eligible for special GSA pricing for many seminars.
AMA's main conference centers
Seminars scheduled for the cities below are held at the locations listed below. For location information for other cities in which AMA seminars are held please call or email for information.
AMA executive Conference Center
1601 Broadway New York, NY 10019
American Management Association (Located in the same building as the Crowne Plaza Hotel) 1601 Broadway On Broadway and 48th Street near Times Square. Entrance is on 48th Street.
AMA executive Conference Center (adjacent to the Marroitt O'Hare)
8655 west higgins rd
Chicago, IL 60631
AMA executive Conference Center is located in San Francisco Marriott Hotel
55 Fourth Street 2nd Level
San Francisco, CA 94103
AMA Executive Conference Center
Address: 1170 Peachtree Street Ne Cnr Peachtree & 14th (3rd Flr)
City, State, Zip: Atlanta, GA 30309
2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22202
If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a seminar you can contact AMA in advance to transfer to a future session, or you can send someone to take your place. If you need to cancel your attendance, AMA will give you a complete refund if you cancel more than three weeks before your seminar begins. To cancel, simply email us at
. If you cancel with less than three weeks’ advance notice, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. Once your payment has been received, you may request a courtesy transfer to use at any future AMA seminar of equal or lesser length. The courtesy transfer must be used within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar. In fairness to all attendees, if you do not attend a seminar session for which you are confirmed and do not contact AMA to cancel in advance, you will be charged the entire seminar fee.
AMA grants courtesy transfers to people who cannot attend their scheduled sessions. You can use a courtesy transfer for any seminar of equal or lesser length than the original seminar. You must use your courtesy transfer within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar.
AMA guarantees the quality of our seminars. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a seminar for which you have paid, AMA will give you credit toward another seminar of comparable price or will refund your fee.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.