business writing common core teacher training workshops coaching
Writing Development Associates
Writing Development Associates offers three business writing workshops and one-on-one coaching to meet the needs of employees at all levels and in all types of organizations. Our business writing courses help participants improve all types of writing they do, including email etiquette, grammar, spelling and punctuation, proposal writing and report writing. We also offer technical writing training courses. All our business writing training workshops and technical writing courses are skilled-based and highly interactive. Participants apply what they learn to their own job-related writing. And all our writing courses are appropriate for technical, as well as non-technical employees. In addition, we offer two workshops for teachers to help their students meet Common Core State Standards.
Our services include the following:
- Business writing workshops
- Workshops for teachers
- One-on-one coaching in person or via e-mail
- Presentations at conferences
BUSINESS WRITING WORKSHOPS
CLEAR BUSINESS WRITING
This one- or two-day general business writing workshop is appropriate for any employee who writes e-mails, memos, letters, or proposals. It will help people get started more quickly by planning their writing and organizing their ideas in a clear, flowing way. More specifically, participants will learn how to:
- Write more quickly and logically.
- Vary their writing to meet the needs of their audience.
- Write more clearly, simply and persuasively.
- Apply what they learned to their on-the-job writing.
EDITING FOR MANAGERS
This program is for those who must edit, critique and improve their staff’s writing. The approach used is to teach managers to act as writing coaches to develop their staff’s writing skills. Participants will specifically learn how to:
- Reduce the amount of time they spend in editing and their staff spends in rewriting.
- Determine what to change or leave alone in reviewing writing.
- Improve the quality of staff’s writing by teaching them to eliminate repeated errors and write more effectively.
- Give feedback more constructively and in a way that can reduce staff members’ defensiveness.
- Apply objective criteria for evaluating the organization and clarity of written communication.
A REVIEW OF GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION
This program is for anyone at any job level who wants to review or learn the “basics.” Among the students who come are those who have never learned the rules of grammar and punctuation properly during school, or those who have gotten rusty and need a review. In addition, it is appropriate for those who are competent speakers and writers, but whose native language is not English, and they need to improve their command of the English language. Participants will learn how to:
- Eliminate sentence errors.
- Use proper tenses and subject-verb agreement
- Use the correct pronoun.
- Distinguish when to use which type of punctuation.
- Improve spelling and proofreading ability.
- Avoid common grammatical errors.
- Learn the difference between commonly confused words.
INDIVIDUAL FOLLOW-UP COACHING AFTER A WORKSHOP
Dr. Haber offers an additional option in which he provides coaching in person or via e-mail with each workshop participant several months after a workshop. Specifically, he reviews post-workshop writing samples to reinforce what participants did well and provide help with any writing problems that remain.
WORKSHOPS FOR TEACHERS
HELPING STUDENTS MEET COMMON CORE STANDARDS IN WRITING
This workshop will help teachers gain the skills needed to assist their students meet Common Core State Standards for writing. Specifically, participants will learn how to teach students to write arguments, informative/explanatory essays, and narratives of real or imaginative experiences or events. Participants will learn how to:
- Use an outline to write arguments, informative/explanatory essays, and narratives of experiences.
- Use the appropriate content and language for specific audiences and purposes.
- Apply what they have learned to teach students to write more effectively.
HELPING STUDENTS LEARN COMMON CORE CONVENTIONS OF STANDARD ENGLISH
This workshop is designed to help teachers learn and/or review Common Core conventions of Standard English grammar and usage, as well as conventions of Standard English capitalization, punctuation and spelling. Participants will learn how to:
- Avoid common punctuation and grammar errors.
- Use proper tenses.
- Ensure subject/verb agreement.
- Use the correct pronouns.
- Improve spelling and proofreading ability.
ONE-ON-ONE COACHING SERVICES
To improve an employee’s writing, Dr. Haber first evaluates writing samples sent via e-mail. Then, he arranges one-hour phone sessions, using relevant pages from his course manuals. A handful of sessions help most employees.
“Techniques for Writing More Effectively”
In this session, you will learn specific ways to write more quickly, clearly and concisely. Moreover, you’ll be taught how to write more logically and persuasively so you can be more effective back at work.
DR. MEL HABER
For the past 31 years, Dr. Mel Haber has been the president of Writing Development Associates. As head of his own consulting firm, Dr. Haber has been teaching employees in private industry and government to write more clearly and effectively.
Among his clients are Colgate-Palmolive, Pfizer, The Port Authority of NY & NJ, Social Security Administration, and EPA.
He holds a B.B.A. from the Baruch College, an M.A. in English from The City College of New York, and an Ed.D. from Boston University. A former professor at Penn State University, Dr.Haber did teacher training and wrote several published articles on teaching methods.
WDA CLIENTS INCLUDE:
Teachers Insurance Annuity Association
Health Insurance Plan of NY
National Institutes of Health
Independence Community Bank
Port Authority of NY & NJ
Henry Schein, Inc.
U.S. Social Security Administration
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
U.S. Department of Justice
U.S. Department of State
For additional information about my workshops or executive tutoring services please call me at 718-279-3143 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web page maintained by The Training Registry